Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Start of the Cross Season and the End of the Mountain Bike Season

When September rolls around, it is a month of transition for us. We are wrapping up with our mountain bike season and moving towards the shorter races of cyclocross. It is timely since that the days are growing shorter and the duration which we train is also decreased, but rather than heading out on long, endurance rides and working on handling skills, we work on power, intensity, and dismounts/remounts. It is also during this month, where I make the transition back into full-time teaching, so this change in training is somewhat ideal. We don't completely put away the mountain bikes as they are far too much fun and bring us so much enjoyment. But, sometimes I do think that our muscles are confused during this transitional time.

So, what have we been up to? It's been 3 weeks since our last race at the Single Track Stampede (STS) and I personally used this time to prepare for courses and wrap up with other household responsibilities before the school year began. Since I hit my low back into a tree at the STS race, this time also was used to heal. My range of motion was severely limited and the muscle pain was quite significant. Our bodies know how to heal and sometimes, we just need to give it plenty of time. I am fully recovered and feel well again.

For Jeff, his project during this time was stripping down his old SS frame ridding it completely of parts and paint. He painted the frame and ordered a new drive train. Many of you know that Jeff put away his days of racing his SS this year and switched to a geared bike, but he still wants to have options in his training. He used parts we had laying around in the basement and now has another rig he can enjoy year round.

Jeff painting his frame


















Bike is done!
















As the first cross race neared, Jeff got out his cross bike and laughed because it still had mud on it from the last cross race held last year around Thanksgiving. He worked diligently to prepare it and as for me, well, let's just say that I dropped the ball and didn't order my new groupo for my new cross frame until much too late. If I chose to race at Kirkland, then it would be on my mountain bike. To race or not to race? That was the question. So, I chose to race. Jeff prepared my bike with skinnier tires and our good friend, Fizz, loaned us a carbon fork to lighten up the rig and provide greater stability.

Mother nature was not kind to us in the weeks leading up to the Kirland cross race, the first race in the NYCross series. Our region suffered full on flooding leaving many friends stranded, schools closed, businesses destroyed, or homes with severe flood damage. Likewise, it also left the course heavily saturated. The first race of the season was nothing less than difficult due to the muddy conditions.

As we drove into the race venue, we were glad to see so many friends and to catch up with the details of the summer.

Jeff and Ad














Jeff and Paul














Michelle and John














Jeff warmed up and eventually made his way to the start of the master's race. All men aged 35+ lined up together and then would be scored separately within their respective age group -- there were approximately 45 starters in Jeff's race. As per the promoter, the riders lined up according to the registration order. Jeff did 'day of' registration and started nearly dead last. I would have found this start position to be a bit daunting, but it did not deter Jeff's efforts.














Jeff had a great race. He essentially went through the field despite the muddy conditions. As each lap passed, Jeff continued to reel in riders and move closer to the front riders. He would finish 5th overall and 2nd in his age group. It was an outstanding result for the first race of the season. Jeff was sandwiched between some of our local friends -- Tim, Phil, and Greg -- and all of them, should be congratulated for their efforts.

After the race with his mom














As for me, I prepared for my race and as expected, got quite a few questions about my choice of bike to ride for the race. I felt a bit repetitive as I tried to explain that I failed to order my cross groupo in time, but at least, I was ready for the muddy conditions. The women had a strong field with many of the local heavy hitters and like Jeff, I, too, lined up at the back of the field. The start was not extraordinarily fast, but as soon as we got into the soft grass and muddy areas, chaos broke out. A few people slid out, others mishandled turns and I steadily rode. My greatest challenges were the barriers and the billy goat trail run-up which gave me trouble due to the weight of the bike.

Start of women's race














At the barriers














At the run-up














At the end, I was completed satisfied with my race and with my efforts. My final placing of 6th was not ideal, but I was grateful to have the opportunity to race.

At the end of the race














My groupo arrived yesterday (thanks EJ!) along with some new winter jackets for us. Jeff plans to have the new bike ready for me to race this weekend and I hope to continue to improve my results.

The cross season is long in this part of the country. We will continue to do the cross races in the local area through December while mixing in the remaining mountain bike races. Our goal is to mentally and physically stay positive and to complete in the Master's Worlds race in Louisville, KY later in January. Many of you might laugh and wonder why we may choose to go to Louisville, but if the choice is to race or not race, what would you choose?

Together, we are Jeffina, crankin' out the miles, crankin' out the love for Crankskins.com

No comments: