Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Park Ave. Training Race #2 Report

Before I get to the race report, I'd like to thank the many of you who personally contacted/e-mailed me with well wishes for my brother. Chris is about the same, as he is still experiencing a good bit of pain, and due to his broken ribs and he must sleep upright. Sleeping upright in and of itself must be difficult enough when sleep is so vital for the healing process. He's been going into work for about 3 hours a day just to make his mind off of the situation. Chris recently accepted a new position at a Trek store and enjoys the cycling industry like no one person I know. I'm not sure who got into cycling first, but Chris and I equally share a love for the sport. It's a sport that Chris' son partakes in and it's the sport where I found Jeff. Chris, we're all sending you good vibes! Love you, bro! Set your sights on cyclocross season!

Earlier today, I sat down and penned the race report and for whatever reason, lost the majority of the post. It would be nearly impossible for me to recreate it, so I will just provide the highlights and lowlights of the evening's race.

We traveled to Rochester for race #2 of the Park Ave. Training series. Crankskin riders EJ and Tommy also showed. I love it when EJ shows up because it's like Christmas -- he always comes bearing gifts. Jeff got a new prototype stem and Tommy got some item still in its packaging. EJ showed off the sleek luggage carrier we will be taking to nationals covered in Crankskin signage. I love the EJ looks after his riders and cares about our well-being.

The race was delayed 30 minutes due to other events at the venue and for this reason, the race director shortened the expert race to 6 laps. Four expert women (including Anne who said, "I'm not sand bagging this week!") lined up with the men and the start was fast. I am trying to get faster starts and like the training series because I can work on improving my skills in a non-USAC race. We circled the ball field before heading into the singletrack and as I entered the woods, I saw where Jeff had come off his bike and was trying to get started again. Having a difficult time trying to find an opening, EJ belted out, "Get in, man!" I immediately lost sight of Jeff.

I had a solid race but found myself a bit more tentative than usual -- I still have thoughts about my brother swirling in my head and my conversation with mom before I left to pick up Jeff at work ended with, "Please be safe..." I never remember my mom saying that to me.

Jeff did not lap me last night but when I came through the finish area, I saw the look on Jeff's face. He was disgusted -- had a bad start, couldn't get around slower riders, ran into a tree in a slimey section of woods and in doing so, wracked his back, two fingers, and maybe bent his forks (and/or frame). He was not happy. Tommy ran into Jeff and even Tommy looked a bit shaken by the incident.

As we drove home listening to the relaxing voice of Norah Jones, we recounted our races for one another, but we were more quiet than usual. I often enjoy the silence and solitude that Jeff and I share. Yes, we are talkative and yes, we enjoy being together, but it's just as comforting sitting in silence knowing that my loved one is beside me.

Tonight, we are doing yoga to stretch and balance our bodies. The aging process seems to cause our bodies to retain imbalances, but we found yoga over the winter after I experienced my back problems. It was has been a wonderful addition to our weekly routines and I would suggest for anyone who wants to supplement their riding with strength and stretching.

Time to clean out water bottles.

Together, we are Jeffina, crankin' out the miles, crankin' out the love for Crankskins.com.

No comments: