Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lewis Morris Challenge (H2H race #3) Race Report or the Jeffina Does the Double!

Lewis Morris County Park is located on NJ County Rt. 510 somewhere between Mendham and Morristown, NJ, and was the site of the third race in the H2H mountain bike series. In one of our previous blog entries, I noted that we are committed to racing the H2H series this year and despite the travel time often involved, the people, races, and the high level of racing never leads us to reconsider our decision.














The Jeffina made our way south into Pennsylvania and headed towards the Delaware Water Gap and immediately the feel for this part of the country comes to life. There are more cars and more garbage on the roads, but the views of the high peaks through the water gap are outstanding. During our drive there, we discussed possible race strategies and tried to provide encouragement and support even though we were both nervous. Last year at this race, Jeff had to pull out due to back problems and I had a fairly decent race there and was hoping to duplicate this result.

We arrived and were glad to find out through conversations that little rain had come through the area and the course resembled last year's. We did our typical pre-race routine of unloading the bikes, putting on numbers, filling water bottles, pumping up tires, eating pb and j sandwiches, and staying well hydrated. The heat and the humidity would be play a role in the race. I don't mind racing in the heat and enjoy the high humidity levels. I like seeing the humidity hang in the air and feeling the moisture on my skin -- it takes me back to the summer days of being a child in West Virginia. We were able to pre-ride sections of the course and then stayed relatively close together until we were instructed to line up. Jeff has a quiet power that helps to comfort me when I'm nervous and even though we may not speak much to one another as the start time approaches, his presence still soothes me. As we lined up, we gave each our a small smooch and said, "Good luck and ride safe."

As much as I like this race, the one area I think that they could improve upon is starting us on time. Like last year, we started about 30 minutes late and in the heat, this was significant. The ladies were not happy and we politely complained to one another and made small talk. The pros started first and then in staggered starts, Jeff's singlespeed category was off. He had a strong start and was towards the front. He told me before the race that he wanted to be up front towards the start so that when the first climb approached, he would not get behind slower riders. Later in the car on the way home, Jeff told me that he attacked on the first climb and just tried to keep it going. He knew that there were strong riders (including the series leader, as well as last year's winner in the pack), and expected to see them hunting him down on the descents. At every turn, he would look back and stand up coming out of corners to get the speed back up. At the end, Jeff finished the race and came across the line solo in first place! There was little fanfare as the pros were doing one more lap and no expert geared riders caught him. He stood there alone and just waited for the rest of the riders. He estimates that he stood there for about 7-8 minutes (but we need to confirm this). Great job, Jeff!

Next, he waited for me. He got word from one of his friends that I had come through our water station (and yes, he didn't lap me!!) about 30 minutes ago.

My race was an interesting and not interesting in some way. All the women, including the pros started together -- about 12 of us started. There were some familiar faces and not-so-familiar faces: Ellen, Ellen, Marianne, Shasta, and Melissa, and others. I had a strong start and went into the first climb on Melissa's wheel as one of the Ellen's took off. I was sitting solidly in 3rd place overall and 1st in my category. Like Jeff, I wanted to get into the first climb in a good position and just keep pushing. The one thing I like about this course is it is less technical than many of the other courses in the series and at the risk of criticizing myself, I was able to keep my speed higher. At all times, I knew that they would be chasing me down, but after a while, I found myself riding alone. From time to time, folks on the trail would say that "They're not the far ahead of you...." I kept thinking, "Heck, Melissa and Ellen ride at the pro level, so I'm not worried about them." What I didn't realize was how close they really were. I saw Melissa on the last lap changing a flat which put me into 2nd place overall. At the finish, I came in only 2 minutes behind Ellen and I won my category! First H2H win for me and for Jeff! The Jeffina does the double! I do not portend to be a better rider or a faster rider than the other women I race with as they are all very talented riders. Many national champions (or ex-national) and state champions in this group -- I think I just had a good day and the course suited my riding style. I know that on any given day, any one of us could win. I have the utmost respect for these women.

As usual, Jeff was waiting for me and we hugged and kissed, and congratulated one another. We slowly made our way towards the car where we toasted with cooling summer beverage of lemonade and green iced tea. I sat on the edge of hatch, still sweating from my efforts, as Jeff hurriedly began disrobing and cleaning up. I just sat and felt satisfied.

We made it down to the race venue area and Jeff spotted the beer tent. He made a bee-line (or should I say, "bee-r-line") and we checked results.

Jeff enjoying a beer!



















The winners all received medals, some cash, and beer from a local NJ brewery!
















On the way home, we stopped more times than usual as my hip was bothering me -- yes, still the lingering effects of my low back issues. But, all is better.

The next time we race, we will be in Colorado and as much as I am concerned about altitutde, I am looking forward to the trip.

Remember, to stay posted for the "Landmarks of the U.S." photo contest. During our trip, I will posting photos of famous (and some not-so-famous) landmarks and readers will need to guess where we are -- yes, similar to a "Where's Waldo" game.

We hope to carry this great momentum into the national championships later in July.

One final note, a group of Crankskins.com riders raced in the 24 hours of Summer Solistice over the weekend in Canada and want to give them a big "Good Job!"

Enjoy the pictures of the day and together, we are Jeffina, crankin' out the miles, crankin' out the love for Crankskins.com.













No comments: