Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Pre-Black Fly Ride Report

A small, but dedicated, group of mountain bikers assembled at the Jeffina residence for the pre-Black Fly ride on Sunday. In attendance were Phil M., Greg D. and the Jeffina. We initially thought that the turn out would be greater due to the number of requests we had to revive this ride from two years ago, but nonetheless, it was a great group of people to ride with. Mother nature provided us with a few light sprinkles prior to 11 a.m. start time, but eventually the sprinkles gave way to a great riding weather -- mid 70's and sunshine. Earlier in the morning over breakfast, Jeff thought we should slightly change up the route and I was fine with this. We would tackle the power line climb!

Pre-ride photos:
















































As we headed south on route 11 out of Tully before making the turn onto the first extended climb on Vormwald which leads into Heiberg Forest, we chatted and got caught up on family and work-related news. I have been feeling somewhat fatigued since I'm working with a trainer for my back, as well as receiving structural work, all the while trying to maintain with my riding. I didn't want to hold the up the rest of the group, but on all the climbs, they were quite accommodating. From Heiberg Forest, we made our way over to the "blueberry" hill climb, and then down into Truxton. Once into Truxton, we turned left onto Morgan Hill Road. It would be from here that Jeff would take us on the power line climb. This is a new section for me and it was mainly double track, but held many rocky sections, a couple of stream crossings, and a few hike-a-bike sections. Based on the existing lines, it was apparent this this was a well-used ATV trail. At the top, we re-grouped and headed into the Morgan Hill area. We picked up a a great single track trail that was in good condition. The trail would wind it's way to Spruce Pond. At Spruce Pond, I told the guys, "This won't be pretty for me..just go on and save yourselves if you need to...." Spruce Pond marks the beginning of the final ascent up to Hang Glider Hill. It is a tough climb, especially at the end of a long ride. To my surprise, we were all about equal distance apart and made the ascent to Hang Glider Hill together. From here, we stopped, took in the great views, and headed down the hill towards home.

Distance = 36 miles
Time = 4 hours
Climbing = 4100+'

For me, it was the longest ride of the year and I was satisfied (or maybe surprised) that I survived.

Afterwards, the post-ride beverage of choice was Ommegang beer (what else would you expect from this group?). We sat and chatted on our front lawn while enjoying camaraderie and sharing highlights from our ride. For me, my riding has always been more than a physical aspect of my being. I enjoy the social and emotional support I receive from friends and family at times like these.

Post-ride photos:









































Together, we are Jeffina. Crankin' out the miles, crankin' out the love for Crankskins.com.

Next stop for us -- NYS mountain bike race #2 in Hurley, NY.

No comments: