Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Kenda Cup Race Report or the Rockiest Race I've ever Done

Happy 2nd day of August to our committed readers, and as well to our family and friends. The start of August is always a gentle reminder that school year will be starting in a a few weeks and I will need to begin preparation for my courses. However, the start of the school year does not mean that we will be racing any less. Between now and November, there is still plenty of racing to be done, but it does mean that my time commitments will begin to change. We plan to finish out the mountain bike season in October and perhaps jump into a few cross races by the time November rolls around.

Yesterday, though, we traveled to Macungie, PA (on the outskirts of Allentown, PA) for a Kenda Cup race. This race was part of the national points series, as well as the final race in a four part race series which began back in April at the Greenbrier Classic in Greebrier, MD. For us, the focus was to continue to work on getting national points. After competing in Colorado, we enjoy participating in high level races and enjoy the tests and challenges with seeing new faces and new courses from week-to-week. As much as we have traveled this summer, I am always amazed at the quality of riders we meet at these events. Most of them, like us, work and fit in time for family, and training, which makes time management key to maintain a certain level of fitness.

We arrived on Saturday to pre-ride and quickly found the course. The race took place at the Bear Creek Resort and Conference Center which is a relatively small resort (compared to Mt. Snow or Sol Vista), but boasts technical, rocky trails. True to the website's word, we found this course to be extremely challenging. Of the 8 mile loop, 6 miles were covered in rocks, some big rocks, some rock gardens, some wet slimey rocks, and I think you get the picture. There were few places to open up any speed and the climbing was minimal. At the risk of sounding like a whiner, I kept saying, "I want to go home....." But, we didn't and Jeff just told me to try my best.

Sunday came and we were greeted by light rain on and off throughout the day. Arriving at the race venue, I was relieved to hear others complaining about the course -- some were worried about trying to keep speed and others, like me, were just concerned about survival. We were discussing how often times race directors want to make courses "over the top" and not think about the safety of riders or just having fun. I can't remember the last time we did a race course that was just fun and flowing singletrack.

For Jeff, he again had problems with his rear brake (even though it worked fine during the pre-ride) and was forced to turn in his number plate. Having no rear brake on this course would be treacherous. He was not only frustrated, but disappointed.

Despite my negative attitude, I lined up with the other gals and was relieved to hear the race director reduce our laps from 3 to 2. All the women started together, and there was only one other gal in my age group and she was from the area and on a full-suspension bike. I was envious. The start was fast and early on, I realized the the race would be between me and the course.















(Start of the ladies race.)

As much as I struggled, I tried my best to keep speed and found myself on the 2nd lap riding more and more of the rocks. Around the course, people were fixing flats, walking in with blown out sidewalls, or just riding flats. Some people needed stitches and others like me, just played it safe. I came in with a smile and just said, "I did it...it was a tough day."

I ended up 2nd in my age group and because I did the Greenbrier Challenge back in April, I took the regional championship. I was glad to celebrate this moment with Jeff and his parents. I felt badly for Jeff and told him on the way home, "I wish it was me who had the brake problem....."

One final note, Lauren Z., who I met while racing in Colorado, traveled back east for this race. Lauren is a highly ranked cat. 1 rider who has done the entire national series said this was the most difficult course of the series. I was glad to see Lauren and hope that our paths cross again.

Enjoy the photos of the day!

Next up, NYS series race in Bellarye.

Together, we are Jeffina, crankin' out the miles, crankin' out the love for Crankskins.com





No comments: